Sunday, November 4, 2007

Things I will never take for granted again

This is a list of things I have come to appreciate over the course of the last few months...
NEVER AGAIN WILL I TAKE FOR GRANTED:
-hot showers!!
-the dryer
-knowing what stuff means
-central heating
-the cheap cost of living in KS
-the freedoms i have
-free internet in libraries
-never paying to pee
-free refills at restaurants
-free chips at restaurants
-free water at restaurants
-the dishwasher
-the garbage disposal
-my perfectly straight teeth
-my privacy
-the smiling customer service in the states (for the most part!)
-my MUSIC!
-seeing and talking to family-friends every day
-in general, the abudance of opportunities i have as an american

Things I do not miss while abroad:
-expensive wine
-the pizza and pasta
-my cell phone (dont know how i will deal with it when im back)
-noisy TV all the time
-rush hour traffic
-the celebrity gossip
-drama amongst friends

I do miss KU but not going to school and working simultaneously, I really miss my family-friends and familiar food (esp now that we are living in a communist convent, haha). It is really werid not knowing what movies are out or have come out or what is gonig on in the news, I really have no clue, I am kind of tired of wearing the same crap day in and out becasue it is annoying to wash and rewash but I look at my possesions differently. I have way too many clothes. I do miss wearing different outfits but the fact is there is not reason for me to have all the crap I have. I have lived almost 3 months without 99 percent of my bullshit and am just fine. The funny thing is that changing your lifestyle has different effects on different people. I do realize now how little I can live on and how much excess we cloud our lives with. However, I dont know if I am just a creature of habit, an American pig, or most likely both, but I miss some unnecessary comforts I didnt think I would, namely the hot showers and the dryer...and people eat quite simply here. I have mixed feelings on this also. Yesterday we had lunch and everyone is like "Oh I am fine with just bread and cheese" Matt and I are like "Ah! WE need salami or something!" Teh Croats told us that we eat a lot, they dont understand becasue we are skinny. Well I look at it and think, ok , you really can get by on cheese, bread and soem fruit, you really can simplyfy your life and cut out the crap and streamline it and all that good stuff...but I like the richness of food and the colors of my clothing, I dont nkow what that means, maybe I am a glutton or materialistic, but I love beef tips and fried chicken and baking high caloric desserts...I love food and all kinds of it, I dont see how you can not! Last night I dreamt of food, so did Matt. He dreamt of breakfast and I dreamt I ate these two dishes of food, and they were so delcicious in my dreams, there was even a cheesecake! I know I am not covering any travels but just my thoughts. OK going to wrap this one up now I am hogging the computer, Im going to go read my Dance Europe Magazine that cost me 13 dollars....Matt is drawing a vulcher.

No comments: